Tuesday, July 31, 2012


While looking at Pinterest for ideas on ways to celebrate losing a tooth, I kept running across the idea of 'Tooth Fairy doors'.  I gave Macy the options of us making a pillow (with pocket) or a pouch of some sort to hang from her bed or a fairy door.  I barely got the word "fairy" out of my mouth and she was sold! 

Knowing that the day was quickly approaching, I hurried to Hobby Lobby for the basic supplies.  The rest I had at home.  I purposely used colors that were gender-neutral so that Evan can use it in the future as well.  It turned out that I stayed up late the night before she lost it, hot-gluing and painting like crazy.  Pizza at lunch the next day did the trick.

That night we put the Tooth Fairy door on Macy's nightstand.  She placed her tooth on a small Barbie pillow near the door...ready and waiting....with a note asking if she could keep the tooth.
In the morning we were shocked to see LOADS of star-shaped glitter (which trailed through the hallway and into Macy's bedroom), two gold coins and a Hello Kitty tooth brush.  Oh!- and a note!!!  The Tooth Fairy congratulated Macy on losing her first tooth and encouraged her to keep brushing every morning and night.
Upon finding all of this, Macy yelled for me so loud that she made me jump!
Priceless.

Here's the scoop:
Use a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby to purchase a dollhouse door.  It comes with the frame/molding and hinged door.  Adhere it to a wood plaque (also from H.L.) with wood glue.  Paint away.  I added felt clouds with some hot glue.  The doorknobs are painted thumb tacks.  Using some paper clay I had here at the house, I sculpted a tooth and, once dry, I painted it and added glittered card stock wings.  The door is decorated on all sides.

Make it special:
On the bottom of the wood plaque (which I left unpainted), I used permanent marker to note the date and 'Macy's first lost tooth'.  With each tooth that is lost in the future, I will note 'Macy' or 'Evan' and the date they lost their tooth.  Hopefully this tooth fairy door will become a wonderful keepsake that brings back magical memories.

1 comment: