Wednesday, July 6, 2011

birthday banners

They're finished!!!  As mentioned, I've been working on a few large wood pieces that combine paint with tissue paper.  They are perfectly sized for the front door - 24"H. x 13"W.
Decorating the front door in preparation for a holiday, season or any celebration has become a tradition for my family. The kids love creating something special for all visitors to see. This is where I took inspiration for these pieces. My hope is that both cupcake creations find a loving family that display them on the front door of their home to celebrate a child's birthday- -year after year.

I started out basecoating the boards with fun colors- - adding some varying shades for visual interest.  Then, I grabbed the pile of funky tissue paper and my scissors and cut out the entire design.  Once happy with the placement, I adhered the tissue to the board.

For the finishing touch, I used my charcoal pencil to outline certain design elements.  The charcoal got a good smudge using my fingertips.  (I have to push myself to relax and let the charcoal smudge.  It's a bit freeing...and nerve-wracking...all at the same time.)  The verbiage was added using stamps and black paint.  Lastly, I sprayed the entire piece with a matte spray to set the charcoal and protect the piece.  Note:  These tissue paper paintings are hung by heavy black wire- -coiled in the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment