Thursday, September 1, 2011

Saltbox Homes & Winter Trees

It seems a little silly to be painting winter scenes while it's currently 95 degrees outside, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.  I REALLY need to work on creating some winter pieces to prepare for upcoming boutiques. 
When designing for winter paintings, saltbox homes are toward the top of my list.  Years ago I turned sections of thick scrap wood into loads of standing, primitive homes.  I think I've been hooked since. 
In my paintings, using one of two techniques, I usually include an evergreen tree or two with a saltbox home nestled in a winter scene.  This time, however, a light bulb went off before my brush touched the painting.  I wanted to try something a little different with my trees (as shown in the photo below).  This 'exposed branches' look is something that catches my eye every time I see it in advertising and kids decor.  So, why not put a spin on it and see if they fit well with my saltbox homes?!  I'm pleased to have changed things up a bit.  Look out charcoal pencil! - - I might just have a new 'favorite'!

No comments:

Post a Comment