Wednesday, November 9, 2011

heartfelt and handmade


I don't normally paint on furniture pieces.  However, while out at a sale, I couldn't resist purchasing this piece after hearing it's story.  The woman selling the end table (complete with sliding drawer!) said that she and her husband drove around our Nebraska countryside asking farmers for their unused barn wood.  The woman's husband created this side table, along with another side table and corner cabinet (which were not at the sale unfortunately).  The wood has so much character and the craftsmanship is terrific.  Even the edges of the table top are trimmed for a nice edge.  The best 'find' was inside the drawer, where the craftsman wrote "LOVE DAD".  That just melts my heart.

On the table top surface I wanted to paint something that would look nice all year long, as well as if someone wanted to place a lamp, vase, etc. in the middle.  I hadn't painted on that type of surface in quite a while, so it was an exciting change of pace.  I sealed the top with a few coats of varnish to help protect the design.

This item will be going to Fremont's Prairie Hearth for their upcoming Christmas Open House.  I hope it finds a wonderful home.  It has such a lovely story to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment