Thursday, June 28, 2012


My sister, Milly, was an active volunteer in our community.  The organization that she dedicated most of her time and heart to was our local library.  For many, many years Sis served as a member of the 'Friends of the Library' and also the 'Library Board'. 
This week, just days after my sister would have celebrated her birthday, I got word that our library has approved my proposal to donate a tree in her memory for the library grounds.  An ornamental Weeping Willow will be planted at the library this fall- -two years after we lost Sis to cancer.
I chose an ornamental Weeping Willow tree because seven years ago my sister started an annual craft show held in her home and named it the Weeping Willow Boutique.  After my sister passed away, the ladies of our family continued with the boutique.  This craft show is a large get-together of family and friends who loved my sister and enjoy the comradery of friendship we all share because of her. Therefore, a Weeping Willow seemed a very appropriate symbol to select for this donation project.
There is something so special about the idea of my kids going to the library and being able to explain to them that Aunt Milly has a special tree there.  It chokes me up every time I think of it.  I miss her dearly.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. She was an amazing woman who was always so happy and loving to all. Miss her dearly.

    ReplyDelete